When your roof has been damaged by weather or simply reached the end of its lifespan, it’s important to understand your options. It’s also important to work with an experienced and dedicated roofing contractor who makes your home’s best interests their top priority.
There are many situations in which your roof can be repaired, but there comes a time when your roof will need to be replaced. Here’s what you need to know about each option, and how to decide which is best for your unique situation.
Your Roofing Options
Roofs do a lot to protect your home, but they also take a beating from blazing sun, high humidity, and severe weather. If your roof is damaged, the first and most important step is to contact a roofing professional who can inspect your roof and offer you options for next steps:
- Roof repair – Roof repairs could be as simple as removing a few damaged shingles and putting new ones in their place, or it could be a more in-depth process, but roof repair always means repairing some of your roof, while leaving the overall roof intact.
- Roof replacement – Roof replacement is just what it sounds like. A contractor will remove your existing roof and all its components, and install a brand new roof in its place. In cases of severe damage, a full roof replacement is often the best and most effective solution.
- Reroofing – What many roofers refer to as reroofing is essentially a shortcut to roof replacement (some companies also call it an overlay). It basically means putting new shingles on your home without removing the old roof. Reroofing is a budget-friendly option which may work in certain situations, but there can be some potential issues with laying down new shingles on top of the old ones.
Choosing the Right Course
A number of factors go into determining whether your roof should be repaired or replaced. These include the age of the roof, the quality of the materials and installation, what weather the roof has faced, and the extent of the damage in cases where your roof has been hit by severe weather.
When you have your roof inspected, don’t hesitate to ask questions. Your roofing professional should be happy to not only offer recommendations, but also explain why a particular course of action is necessary. A few general rules apply to almost every roof we work on:
- Repair if possible – At StormForce, we always choose to repair your roof if possible. This saves you both time and money. If a specific area of your roof has been damaged, but the overall roof is still in good shape, then repairs are almost always the preferred choice.
- Replace if necessary – In some cases, there is simply no other option than tearing off the whole roof and replacing it. This could be because the damage to your roof is so extensive repairing it becomes impractical. We also recommend roof replacement in cases where your roof is old, shingles usually last around 20 years, or is in such poor condition that repairing it wouldn’t be enough to make it sound. Why repair your roof when it will need to be replaced within the next few years one way or another? In situations like this, replacement is the more cost-effective choice, even if you end up paying more upfront.
- Be cautious about reroofing – While reroofing is sometimes seen as a budget-friendly option, it’s one which only works in certain situations. This is especially the case in Florida, where high humidity and heavy summer rains make laying a new layer of shingles over the existing ones a tricky move. If the underlying roof contains moisture or water damage, then putting a new layer over it can trap the water inside, potentially doing more harm than good. Also, Florida state code only allows roofers to lay down a total of two layers of shingles which means a roof can only be reroofed once.
Your Roofing Professionals
No matter which course of action you decide is best for your roof, it’s crucial you work with only the best and most trusted local roofing contractors. You need a team of pros who are dedicated to craftsmanship and customer service, and who understand the specific challenges faced by roofs in Florida.
Contact us today to learn more about working with StormForce in Jacksonville, FL. Since 2011, it’s been our mission to partner with our customers for complete satisfaction in all their roofing needs!